- 2-1/2 kg of fresh mussels
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of beer (We used one from Trou du diable – “Une blonde pour Lovecraft”)
- 1 tsp chili paste (chopped dried chili will also work)
- 1/2 cup Piri-Piri medium sauce from Casa Das Tias (you can use the hot one if you want it to be more spicy)
- 1 tsp saffron
- Cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a colander, rinse the mussels under cold water. Discard broken or open shells.
- In a large saucepan, add oil and buter over high-medium heat to cook the onion and scallions. Careful not to brown the onions too much, and stir until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chorizo and cook with the onions.
- To the pot, add the garlic, chicken broth, beer, chili paste (or chopped dried chili), Piri-Piri sauce, cherry tomatoes and saffron. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mussels in the pan and cover. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes or until mussels are open.
- Once the mussels are cooked, add the lemon juice and thicken the broth with the corn starch after having mixed it with 1 tbsp of water (or beer or chicken broth if there is any left).
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy with a good crusty bread !!!
** Do not eat mussels that have remained closed after cooking.